Newcastle Lib Dems Launch 2008 Manifesto
Newcastle Liberal Democrats today launched their Manifesto for the local elections on May 1st.
The Lib Dems say they will:
- Continue to keep council tax rises to no more than the rate of increase of retail price inflation.
- Press ahead with the transformation of the council to consolidate our achievements and continue to improve performance.
- Deliver our ambitious capital programme, getting the city development company off to a flying start and be recognised as a business friendly city.
- Position ourselves to be a leading council for environmental sustainability, for devolving decision-making to neighbourhoods and for being a harmonious, inclusive and cohesive city.
- Promote a healthier city working in closer partnership with other agencies.
- Continue to promote high educational standards building on the major achievements of recent years.
- Continue to lobby Government to provide the resources to meet future social care needs and provide all necessary support to vulnerable adults and young people.
Councillor John Shipley, Leader of Newcastle City Council, said, "We have shown how much better we can run Newcastle than the Labour Party. Since we took control in 2004, we have delivered all our key commitments on low council tax rises, improving neighbourhoods, greening the city and raising educational standards. Newcastle is also a safer city.
However, there is still much to do. We are calling on voters to support us again in very large numbers to make sure our work continues to make our city cleaner, greener and safer and an even better place to live and work".