Out with the Old, In with the New
Jesmond Library re-opened on June 13. The interior is now much brighter and has a more spacious feel. As well as improvements, some much needed repairs have taken place.
The main areas of work have been:
- Improving accessibility by installing automatic doors.
- Improving the community room.
- Installing a new public toilet.
- Replacing all the power, lighting and alarm systems.
- Installing Radio Frequency Identification Equipment to improve the management of librarystock.
- Refurbishment of the fixtures and fittings to reflect the original 1960s design.
This work has cost around £80,000. The money has come from a combination of City sources, including a contribution of over £20,000 allocated by councillors from the ward capital fund.
The new community room has tea and coffee making facilities and can be used for a variety of purposes by all ages. To book the community room, phone 0191 2784215.